Thursday, May 20, 2010

My paintings are like a conversation with a friend and not any friend, but my best friend. They just start. No plan, sometimes they ramble or are about secrets. Sometimes they are funny, sad or serious. I often change my mind; take thoughts back, and then start over. I interrupt or make no sense. And sometimes I am quiet and just listen. But in the end I feel safe and there is no right or wrong or judgments made when I expresses my thoughts to my best friend.

I love layers because they show a history on the canvas and they end up having a language of their own. I use color to get your attention. I make lines and detail when the conversation slows and I want you to look longer. If I need to make a point I use text as an exclamation point.

I paint with oil because I love the smell, the process and the freedom of change it allows me. I hope that my painting will trigger something for the viewers that will let them to drift away and get lost with an emotion or thought and start a conversation of their own.

No comments: